Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Power Outage

Our power went out at about 7 p.m. last night. It was out until about 10 p.m. In fact, I caught it on video (when the power came back on at 10 p.m., that is):



What's sad: the power went off again about 20 minutes after this video was taken. It didn't come back on again until about 12:30 a.m.

It was off for a total of about five hours, and most of La Porte was without power that whole time. There was absolutely nothing going on, too. There was no storm. There was no wind. It was absolutely still and obscenely hot. To add insult to injury (speaking of the heat, here), I had been making a soup in the crock pot, and I had been using the oven for a few hours before the power went out (I actually made brownies for the first time in my life yesterday evening, in fact). So, our house got hot right quick. It made it rather difficult to sleep for that two hours after the power went out the second time.

All I know is: I'm really glad I picked up a couple of oil lamps awhile back from a silent auction at work. I definitely busted those out last night. I didn't even break any of the chimneys (I've broken the chimney on one of them twice now)!

So, we had a fairly weird night. I hope it doesn't happen again tonight. If it does, we're already in better shape. I'm not baking and it's not ridiculously hot outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment