Thursday, May 1, 2008

Neti Bad?

I should be asleep right now, but too much has happened today to not document before another eventful day can begin. Ah . . . where do I start? Oh, yes. 2 a.m.

At about 2 a.m. this morning, we awoke to a skin-crawling, screaming sound which we soon discovered was Hobbes. The little buddy was having a nightmare or something. It was downright terrifying. Willis sat up and turned his light on and tried to wake him, and I ran around the bed to kneel down beside him. I tried to calm him by saying, "It's okay, puppy! It's okay," and I stroked his head. He looked utterly freaked. It was pretty sad. He was so docile when he finally awoke. He just softly rolled onto his back and watched me rub his belly. It was a pretty pathetic sight. He should probably be on puppy Prozac or something.

Afterwards, Willis and I couldn't help but ask the question: how can Hobbes know such horror? Willis equates the sound Hobbes was making to the sound (he imagines) of someone being ground up feet-first in a sausage grinder. What is he dreaming about when he's screaming like that? Willis suggests giant nail clippers. I think that's what it has to be, by golly. He's only freaked out that bad when it's time to clip his nails. Poor dog. Nail clipping for Hobbes generally is accompanied by pee and poo, though. So, we lucked out that we didn't have to clean anything up at 2 a.m.

Nora slept through the whole thing. The cat even sat up and looked down at the dog (he was sleeping in Willi's butt again) with a face that seemed to say, "What the crap?"

I got quite a bit accomplished today, I'm somewhat happy to say. I had a doctor's appointment, I picked up part of my mom's and mother-in-law's mother's day gifts, I took the car to get an oil change and a balance and rotate on the tires, I washed a load of diapers, I quickly picked up poo, mowed, and trimmed the yard before it rained (while Nora chilled in her car seat on our back porch where I could see her), I cleaned Nora up after that because she had BLASTED through her clothes and soiled her car seat (AND me AND the floor), and I worked a few hours today to boot. I also took a bath with my little baby this evening, and I learned two things:

  1. Nora loves taking a bath with me, so that's awesome. Two birds, one stone (or bath, rather), I say.
  2. Nora and lavender baby lotion DO NOT MIX.
That girl screamed for about an hour, I think. Hard. It was heartbreaking. She loved her bath. She was fine afterwards. It was when I started putting the Johnson's lavender bath lotion (that 'calming night' kind) on her that she freaked on me. That's the second time she's screamed when I've tried it, so I can rule out a fluke screaming fit (she freaked out two other times with a Gerber brand lavender baby wash before). She hates that stuff. I will never use it on her again. The only way I could get her to calm down after that was to bounce on my ball and nurse her at the same time. It was pretty extreme. Lavender is supposed to be calming. What the crap?

I'll be interested to see how she does when I bathe her next time and try just using baby oil. I know she can do the plain Johnson's baby lotion, too. That stuff didn't make her scream.

In other news, I totally love the Neti Pot and what it's done for my ability to breathe, but I'm beginning to think I have to stop using it. My right ear is totally blocked today. I'm terrified I'm going to have an ear infection come tomorrow. There's definitely fluid in there. In my experience, fluid hanging out in my ear is bad, bad, bad. The timing would be perfect for that (sarcasm) since the weekend's almost here.

Willi and I missed seeing Bill Clinton over in Michigan City this evening. We had considered going and trying to get a photo of him with Nora. Willis said that we had to make sure that we could see Bill's hands, though. So . . . we opted not to go, and we watched Thursday night TV instead.

Side note: did anyone else see the ER beginning on Scrubs tonight? What the crap happened there? Also, how many times did they run that same scene in the commercial for ER? 30 times, maybe? I know that scene by heart, and now, I have a new way of saying, "Okay."

(It involves clenched teeth. I'll tell you that much.)

Oh! That reminds me: I've been thinking of posting about this for a long time, but I keep forgetting about it. Have you seen the State Farm commercials where people talk about "where they are" in life? For example, one guy goes, "I'm where 'here comes the bride' meets 'here comes all her stuff.'"

Well, each person (including "the groom" from my example) is standing on a giant, red spot, and I don't know why State Farm thinks that people should be preoccupied with where they are in life when they're hemorrhaging all over the place. Get to the emergency room, people. Get to the emergency room.

Are they serious about that ad campaign? Why am I never that person in the board room (you know: the board room in my mind where they talk about ideas for commercials) that's there to be like, "Um. I think the red circle that everyone stands on is a bad idea because, well, it looks like they're bleeding from 'down below.'"

"Great Scott! It's so obvious! I can't believe we almost aired that. Good job, Jenny! You get a raise! You (guy who came up with that idea)! You're fired!"

I need to be sleeping. Dilly out.

No comments:

Post a Comment