Saturday, February 5, 2011

Quirkiness All Around

I made Nora a princess hat today, and the girl is in love. In fact, when I told her that we were going to the grocery, she assumed she'd be wearing it there. I wasn't going to fight her on it. It's cold. She needed a hat. This hat probably isn't the warmest, but it's a hat, nonetheless.


The kid even dressed herself (her shirt's on backwards). I picked the clothes out, but she said she wanted to wear something "twirly."



This whole "girly kick" thing is fairly new. We've been watching a lot of The Princess and the Frog lately. That could be part of it.


She walked into something and made a dent in the hat, but she had a good smile on this one.


She's suddenly very hard to photograph. I'm not sure what's up with that, either.


It turns out, as we were walking out the door, Nora decided she'd rather wear the owl hat. I was surprised, but I was a bit relieved that I wasn't going to be dealing with her seatbelt/tulle combination.


How's Henry, you ask? Well, he's an easygoing kid . . . except for when he isn't (which is most of the time right now). I think he's teething AND he's getting over a nasty cold. Plus, we're all messed up from being on the road so much last week. We still haven't recovered normalcy yet.



Henry likes to do this in my office chair, and most times, he does it when I'm sitting in it.


Uh, oh.


Luckily, the kids were great at the grocery store. It always seems like the busier a restaurant or the grocery, the better they behave. I think the people are a nice distraction for them. I wasn't terribly thrilled that I had to put my groceries in my own cart since Henry was trying to dive out of the seat onto his face. I'm not sure what was up with that, but the store was wicked busy. I just got lucky enough to be in the ONE aisle that didn't have a bagger. I know I wasn't in the "fifteen items or less" aisle, too, because I checked for that, like, thirteen times. Irony finds me, I guess.


During the drive to and from the grocery, Nora kept telling me that I needed to take her "to the tower." I have a feeling that this whole "tower" thing is in reference to some "princess" thing that's on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or something. She seriously got upset with me when I didn't take her to "the tower," and I had a flashback to when I was a kid. I remember totally freaking out at my mom in the car one time because I was confident that I saw the Little House on the Prairie house, and I wanted her to take me there. Yeah.


I even asked Nora where the tower was, and I told her that I didn't know how to get there. It was quite sad, really. I should know, obviously. (No. Not really, but she was clearly irritated that I had no idea.)


Getting them down for bed wasn't too much of a fight. Well, it wasn't as long as you don't count the serious calming session I had to give to Nora when she realized she wouldn't be sleeping with her new princess hat. Sheesh. Henry went to bed easier than he has in several days. That was welcomed. (I'm flying solo this evening because Willi's at a work meeting for most of the weekend.)


Here's to hoping for some schleep! Dilly out!

No comments:

Post a Comment