Saturday, January 5, 2008

Still Pregnant

Yep. I'm still preggers, and I'm not in labor.

We seriously thought I was in labor yesterday for most of the day, but it turned out to be the "usual."

It was more intense than it has been, though, so maybe the next time it happens, it'll be the real thing. I'm not going to put any money on it, though.

We legitimately thought I could be in labor for about three hours yesterday. Then, it just went away again—right about when the phone started ringing (which was right when we walked in the door from work).

I'm seriously considering changing our phone answering message to give updates on the status. It keeps ringing off the hook. I'm thinking I might do that and shut the ringer off—especially after the baby is born. I hate the phone a lot as it is, but if I go into labor, I'm probably going to throw it across the room if it starts ringing like it was last night. Dude. I am not used to that many phone calls when I am not pregnant. Having that many now makes me want to explode. In fact, I'm pretty sure that if I ever get that many phone calls (pregnant or not), I freak out a little bit.

I think my mom is going to have an anxiety attack. I feel bad and all, but the poor woman is not used to having late grandbabies. She's beside herself. I have a feeling this kid could take another week, too. It's okay, Ma. Babies are late sometimes. People have been having babies for centuries, and they still can't quite nail down accuracy on the due date. A lot of people don't realize that. No matter how awesome technology and science are these days, I'm pretty sure they're still never going to know the mystery that is "when is this baby going to show up?"

I can't even tell you how many people asked for a time frame the last time I went into the doctor. Some of these people have kids and grandkids! I wanted to be like, "You know they still don't have any way of telling that by checking your progress, right?"

People don't deal well with patience in this area, do they? I mean—I'm not saying I'm perfectly patient over here. I do get frustrated with all the questions and expectations of timing. All I want to do is crawl into a hole and wait until this kid comes out so I can have some peace, for cryin' out loud. Also, I'm not ready to run over to the hospital and induce. This kid is going to come. I've seen evidence of it. I just can't say when it's happening. Nobody can.

After going to work these past few weeks, I can see why a lot of women don't stay at work until they pop. It's an all-day job fielding questions and hearing "are you still pregnant," or, "what did the doctor say," or, "my God, you look uncomfortable."

It gets tiresome. It's already tiresome draggin' my huge butt to get in there, but . . . holy cow. That sort of attention wears you out. The reason I stay, though: the longer I'm there, the longer I get to have maternity leave with my baby. For that, it's worth it, I think.

I just hope that consecutive babies aren't this stressful. Criminey.

I half think this kid isn't coming out because there's too much commotion going on out here. I mean, if the kid is anything like me, it probably wants to crawl into a hole and never come out, too. Luckily for him/her, he/she can do that, the spoiled brat.

No comments:

Post a Comment