Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Plumbing Issues

Yesterday, I decided to dye three white shirts that had stains on them while I was baking cookies and feeding Nora in a baby sling. I was mastering multitasking at its best. I went downstairs at one point to check on the wash cycle, and I discovered that the sinks weren't draining. The washing machine drains into the utility sinks that are next to it because there's no other drain in the basement. I thought, "Oh, crap."

It took me a minute to remember that I could actually shut off the washing machine, and it's a good thing I did because there was still water in it that needed to come out. What's dumb: I definitely had done loads of laundry before I decided to dye those shirts, and while I have sick, nasty, scary, dark brown water, the drain decides to clog. Now there's some irony for you.

I ended up putting Nora down in the bouncy seat I have by the washer and dryer, and I started plunging the drains in the sinks. That didn't work. So, I made a call to Willi, who was on his way home, to pick up some serious Draino and to put on his plumber hat. Then, I fished out as much water out of the sinks as I could with several buckets that we have in the basement.

It turns out, after Willi did three rounds of Draino, the J trap was basically rusted out so bad that it was destroyed. As a result, the rust was collecting all kinds of "goodies." Willi pulled out a rat-sized wad of hair and lint that was stuck in the J trap. It was pretty disgusting. So, sometime today, I'm going to try to venture out to Ace Hardware to pick up a new J trap. In the meantime, my three shirts are still sitting in the washing machine in water and a cup of vinegar. We'll see if they turn out alright, but I'm doubting it at this point.

It's all such a stinking, gross mess. I'm pretty sure I might have ruined my new slippers. I didn't get a chance to run up and put on real shoes. I did, however, have to stop everything in the middle because Nora definitely pooed through her diaper and her clothes, and I had to change her and feed her. She was pretty upset with me. I felt so bad that I had allowed myself to get so distracted with everything, too. She seemed to be starving all day yesterday, so I felt like I was feeding her constantly. It was madness! The drain couldn't have clogged at a more inconvenient time, really.

That's what's scary about multitasking: when everything works well, it's awesome. However, when something goes wrong, everything gets really, really screwed up. The cookies turned out okay, mind you. I just had the oven on a lot longer than I would've liked. I'm just glad it's not summer.

We also ate dinner and got to bed later than we would've liked. That's also a result of my failed multitasking.

In the end, the neighbors got their cookies, Willi got his cookies, and I got my cookies. So, I'm feeling lucky that something worked out in all that mess.

Nora's snoozin' now, so I'm going to attempt to get a shower. I need to be able to be accepted in society when I step outside today.

No comments:

Post a Comment