Friday, March 20, 2009

Welcome, Baby Atkinson!

Lena and Brett had a baby girl on Thursday morning! Here's a bit of the email that Lena sent out after she was born:

She's finally here! We had our baby girl at 2:09 pm on Thursday, March 19, 2009. She's 7lbs 14.6 oz and 20 inches long. She has a full head of curly blond hair (like me). It was a tough labor, with contractions since starting on Monday, and in the hospital since Tuesday. Our baby girl was having some trouble breathing after delivery and is in the NICU for a couple days to get some help there and to make sure there's no infection due to the long labor. She also had some air escape her lungs only to stay inside her chest cavity making it difficult for her to breathe.  So, they have an oxygen hood over her head to try to correct that. They say nothing is too serious though, and we're hoping she'll be coming home with us in a couple days. Due to how hectic it's been and the fact that we didn't get to spend any time with her before they took her to the NICU, she is, as of now, still nameless, and I have a limited number of pictures.

I talked with Lena (on Google Chat) briefly, and I just knew she was in labor. She kept saying that she was having major contractions every five minutes and that she was really uncomfortable (and she'd been having them all through the night and for most of the day quite consistently). I knew this little one would be arriving soon (but I had no idea how soon, of course)!

I'm so excited for them! I'm also anxious for them: I know what it's like to have to wait before being able to really spend time with your new little one. It's hard. I hope everything clears up soon, and I hope that little girl gets into their arms (and healthy) as fast as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment