Friday, December 28, 2007

Playing the Waiting Game


So, last night, this kid definitely messed with us. We legitimately thought that I was in early labor last night for more than an hour or two. I started having contractions that were about 35-45 seconds long and about five minutes apart. Plus, they were getting stronger each time. We were pretty pumped. After timing several of these, we decided we'd try to go to sleep to see if it progressed or not. I do remember feeling them quite a bit in the night (and waking up a little with them), but by morning, they had dissipated. Bummer.

The contractions were so interesting. They weren't at all as many women have described (from what I've read and heard). I felt my stomach tighten up, and I would feel a strong rush of blood up to the upper part of my body (my face, my ears, etc.). It was almost just like the "dropping" feeling that someone can get when going down a quick hill in the car or falling. Then, my stomach would get tighter and tighter as the contraction would continue. It never hurt or anything, but I did have to take deeper breaths (it was almost like I was walking briskly or something).

What's nuts: we were digging through all of our books and checking online to find out what "real labor symptoms" involve (even though we had read them all before—we still wanted to double-check), and believe it or not, I freaking had those "real labor symptoms."

Oh, we know so little. How is it that we still know so little about this process that's as old as time?
Anyway, I'll be doing the same activities as last night again this evening to see if I can make some progress. Something tells me that this baby will still come whenever it darn well pleases.

I'd just like to stop having elephant feet. They are really, really scary. I look down, and they are NOT my feet. I don't even really have ankles. (I still am having issues with the latest ingrown toenail. I have cotton wedged underneath it today. It's lovely.)

In other news, we totally drove the wrong car to work today. It's totally snowing hard here, and we didn't know that was going to happen. Whoops. I better not be in labor in a snow drift later.

Also, I'm saddened by the assassination of Benazir Bhutto in Pakistan. I've been reading up on this a bit this morning because when I heard about it last night, I realized I knew nothing of this woman, and the fact that she was a leader in an Islamic nation fascinates me. We watched a clip on Fox News last night from when they interviewed her in October of 2001, and she sounded brilliant. I can't believe I never knew of her existence until now. What a sad little bubble I live in (entirely my fault, I realize)!

No comments:

Post a Comment