Sunday, February 17, 2008

Huge Midgets

And all of a sudden, it's Sunday. Wow. That snuck up on me. What's sad: this weekend actually moved fairly slow since Willi's been gone. He's at our work's annual sales meeting this weekend. I'd usually be there for that, but I'm still technically on maternity leave right now. Nora and I miss him. I've taken to organizing my house. I think the nesting instinct is kicking in a little late—like everything else in my life right now. Hah.

Speaking of late, Nora and I actually made it on time to the pediatrician on Friday. I somehow managed to pull it off. I even got a shower and everything. She gave me a nice nap in the morning that I could work with, and it was awesome.

At the pediatrician, we learned that Nora weighs 11 pounds, one ounce. She's a tank! She's also grown an inch since her last visit (about two weeks ago), and apparently that's normal when the parents of the kid are -like- not midgets like Willis and me. So . . . I'm not sure what's up with that. The doctor measured her height, and then she looked me up and down and said, "Um . . . how tall are you?"

"Five-one on a good day."

"Huh. How tall is your husband?"

"Five-seven."

"Huh."

"Do you have tall people in your families?"

"Uhh . . . not really. My brother's -like- almost six feet tall, I think. That's about it for both sides, really."

"Huh."

Yeah. I wasn't kidding when I thought God might mock us with a tall kid. We'll see, though. She's still shorter than us right now, and that's all that matters.

The doctor laid Nora down on her belly to see what she'd do (tummy time, if you will), and the kid lifted up her head, looked at the pretty, colorful wall for awhile, and when I talked to her on the other side of her, she turned her head and looked at me. She did this, and we don't really give her the amount of "tummy time" she's supposed to have at home. This kid is -like- superwoman or something.

Plus, last night, she slept really well. I figured she wouldn't because Daddy's been gone, and she snoozed quite a bit yesterday. She slept for about seven hours again, and then after I fed her the first time this morning, she slept for over an hour again for me. That was lovely. She's so ridiculously easy. I just know if we have another kid, he/she will completely make up for all of this awesomeness.

Nora is smiling regularly these days, and she's on the edge of laughing. I'm really looking forward to some baby chuckles. I love that crap.

She noticed the dog on Thursday or Friday. Since then, she's been watching him across the room every now and then. I think she's liking him.

Speaking of the dog: I gave him a bath last week, and ever since, he's been shivering when I look at him in the afternoons. He's not shivering because he's cold, either.

He also shivers when I yell at the cat, which is constantly right now. The cat is obsessed with this kid's pacifier. He'll knock it off of tables and counters and play with it like it's his. He's also obsessed with closets he's not supposed to enter. He also moves all of my floor rugs. Oh, and you know about him knocking over glasses and eating plants, right? Yeah. He still does that. He peels out on our couch a lot, too, leaving little snag marks all over the place. Every day I think God that we got him declawed in the front. He "sharpens" his "claws" on the couch and other furniture every day at least three or four times. He's a gem, really. I guess I should wait for a later post when I ask the question, "Anybody want a cat?"

Hah. Willis would probably cry if I got rid of him. Intrinsically, I do love the cat, and I do love that he's ornery. He really honks me off, though, on a daily basis in many, many ways.

I'm pretty sure, though, the dog is terrified that I'm going to kill the cat. That's the only explanation I have for why he shivers when I yell at the cat. It's really, really weird.

The dog has also started being strangely protective of me and Nora. He's always in the same room with us, and when he can, he rests his body against my legs or lays down at my feet. It's pretty cute, and he's getting less and less annoying lately. I think he's starting to realize his role in this. I still find him to be a pleasant dog, even though he is obnoxious a lot of the time. He is still only two years old, I guess. He may still mellow out some more yet.

Alright . . . I've got some stuff I want to get done before Willi comes home today. Catch you kids later.

No comments:

Post a Comment