Monday, October 13, 2008

Time is Whizzin' Right on By

Nora turned nine months old on Saturday. I can't even begin to believe how fast time is moving now that I have a kid. It seems like once she got here, hours, minutes, and days suddenly changed their unit of measure. Sure, I thought time flew at times before Nora came, but there's something about a growing child that makes you really note the time passing. Maybe it's because you can actually see the kid grow—right in front of your very eyes. Maybe it's because there's so much growing that a child does in its first year. I don't know. All I know is: I'd better stop and look around once in awhile, or I might miss it (little nod to Ferris Beuller there).

She gave me a run for my money on Saturday. We had a serious poop-o-rama incident in her room when I went to change her that evening. She sat up, pooped on the changing table (while I was trying to locate some wet wipes), and then when I put her on the floor (naked—I was still trying to clean up the mess on the table, but I didn't have any place to put a diaper on her before I got the mess cleaned up), she proceeded to poop (diarrhrea) in three other areas on the floor in her room (within seconds, it seemed). It was NUTS! I spent a good half hour or 45 minutes cleaning up that wild mess after that incident. It's a good thing Willis was home to watch Nora for me while I cleaned it all up: I don't know what I'd have done there. In retrospect, I wish I had thought to just drop her naked butt into the empty bath tub. That way, if she had pooped or peed anymore, I'd just have to hose out the bathtub really well instead of cleaning a rug and the floor. Live and learn, I guess.

I'm actually posting this in stolen time: Nora flatly refused a morning nap today. So, I pulled her out of her crib, let her wander around the upstairs (while I vacuumed up here), and just when I started to feed her lunch, she passed out in her high chair. I immediately grabbed her up and plopped her in her bed. I'm interested to see how long she sleeps this afternoon. She's already been asleep for about 40 minutes. I actually have a video of her looking sleepy just moments before I took her down to her high chair for lunch (where she fell asleep). Check this out:



I knew it wouldn't be long before she passed out, but I had to try to fit lunch in there. I failed, but I had to try.

Here are some other videos that I took on Saturday:


She can clap now.


She also gives kisses.


She's also a pro at eating her Os.

She's at a funky clothes size again. I'm struggling to find season-appropriate outfits that fit her. She's a huge kid. I'm really interested to find out her stats at her nine month checkup on Thursday.

In other news, over the weekend we got a lot of outdoor stuff accomplished. I picked up stupid walnuts from our yard (I loathe walnut trees: they freaking rain walnuts all day long), mowed, and Willis organized the garage so that we could start putting things away for the winter. He put the bulk of our patio furniture away, and I washed the hammock so we can put it away soon. I put up one of our hoses, too. Willis filled the gaps in our siding with spray foam (we have been seeing chipmunks climbing up into our siding this season). I also got a chance to start refinishing the new (old) dresser.

(Side note: Nora just woke up. So . . . I guess she's not going to nap well today.)

On Saturday, Willis, Nora, and I drove to North Judson to the Bailey's Discount Center. We were astounded by that place. We would describe it as a combination of Sam's Club and Big Lots. It was serious. You could really lose a kid in there. I'm not even kidding: people come from all over the midwest to this place. Your kid could seriously end up anywhere. That's a scary thought. I'm glad Nora isn't walking yet. (It's a good place to find all kinds of stuff, though.)

On Sunday, we went back to the church that we've been to a few times here in La Porte. It looks to be undergoing some serious changes at the moment (which is probably good since we didn't wholly like it when we went last time). So, we're going to start going regularly from here on out. Perhaps we can help influence the changes it will be making, and that'd be really cool. We've been meaning to do it (go to a particular church regularly), and we're finally going to do it.

I really hope Nora takes a nap later this afternoon. Mama has stuff to doooo.

Dilly out.

No comments:

Post a Comment